August 17, Marathon Training Update

Sunday August 16, 2009 

Logged my first 50 miler in 9 hours!  Started the morning running with buddies Jim and David at Oak Openings.  Jim dropped back to his pace for his 30 miler in getting ready for the Oil Creek 50, and David took off after 11 miles to get a faster pace to get ready for Dayton.  Frank was out as usual and had high-5’s as we passed each other.  It was hot and humid, high was expected to hit 90 degrees.  Everyone ran well including Kimberly, Rachel, and Elizabeth who came out late morning to log a 16.5 mile long run.  The ladies hadn’t run in the heat for this kind of distance before so they struggled a bit but they got it done.  The heat was tough on everyone!

I ran an 8 minute pace for the first 22 then started to ease off.  With water breaks, I finished the first 26 miles in 4:10 and felt good.  Then it started to get really hot!  Thank God for Gatorade, think I went through 15 bottles of liquids, water, Gatorade and chocolate milk! 

Ran the 5.5 mile loop and stopped to hydrate and refuel each lap after the first two.  It was just too hot to not stop.  Timed water breaks at around 5 minutes and tried to keep a steady pace knowing I would likely slow down in the afternoon as it got hotter.  In the second half, I stopped at the drinking fountain near the lodge every lap and splashed water on myself to stay cool.  Within a half-mile I was dry again but it still helped immensely!  Don’t think I would have gotten through without that drinking fountain.

Was questioning myself at the 4th lap as it was already getting tough, but by lap 5, I was over the hump and starting to feel better mentally.  I was hoping for at least a 10 hour run and seeing that I might be getting 9 was great.  Friend Rodney came out on the 8th lap where I was doing a walk/jog and trying to keep a 4 mile per hour pace to practice my walking for Oil Creek.  That was a huge boost as everyone else had to go for the day already.  They all sent numerous text messages to check on me and that made me feel really good but it still seemed lonely for a bit.  As it got hotter in the afternoon, there was just not a lot of people out there! 

Rodney checked his watch and saw we were keeping about 13 minutes which was great.  He was cheerful and made that lap fun and that carried me through to run the last lap with a little more positive state of mind.  It was a good finish.  Thanks Rodney!

If you haven’t already, please consider a donation to support the fight against cancer and honor a loved one.  You can donate on-line at:

For those that prefer to donate off-line, please make your check payable to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and mail it to:  3936 Elmhurst Road, Toledo, OH 43613.

We’re almost there.  Fight the good fight! – Ernie


  1. So you’ve told me countless times that you are going to run 100 miles, and it seems like a lot. But this post really puts your upcoming challenge into perspective. I can’t tell you how much I admire you for this, or how much I appreciate why you are doing it. Let me know when your next long training run is and I’ll try to keep you company for a few miles.

  2. Ernie, I applaud your dedication, your determination, your heart, your commitment to making the world a better place. Namaste dear friend, Namaste. Love, Leah

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: